Skip to main content

MHS to CDR: A Story from Virginia's Molecular HIV Surveillance Program's Founding Mother

Introduction

This is an ethnographic record of the founding of Molecular HIV Surveillance (MHS), Rapid Cluster Detection and Response program of **Department of Health, written as an email reply to my initial correspondence, which I have also included for reference. The author happens to be an old friend of mine, whom I did not know was responsible for the development of this program; but after learning about her integral role in operationalizing the call to action by CDC, I reached out immediately. Our historical relationship afforded me an opportunity to be more familiar about the issue and inquires I have about MHS, which prompted the following narrative.



From the source email:

I did the outreach to laboratories to try to get them to voluntarily submit the genotypes to us (since they weren’t legally reportable yet so, technically, they did not have to send us anything). We had legislation working its way through so we knew (and hoped) it would just be a matter of time before genotypes would be legally reportable and that's really what I pushed to the labs -- start the onboarding process now so you won't be SOL when the legislation passes! I would work with the labs from that point through the ELR validation process (if they were able to send via ELR/HL7). We had some labs where their set up was not able to do that so they sent us csv files through an sFTP. Eventually the legislation passed and genotypes are now reportable - woo. Besides getting labs onboard, I also wrote a ton of sas codes to process, qa, and analyze the genotypes as well as cluster data.

 I'm assuming you're familiar with eHARS (but if not, it's the HIV surveillance system).

1.     We'd get the genos, validate and QA them, link them to the correct people in eHARS, and have them imported.

2.     If a geno did not match to a person, we'd send it over to the Case Surveillance team to research (since you can't have a geno and be HIV-). Besides the surveillance aspect,

3.     we did cluster investigations as well. We were one of maybe 2 jurisdictions who really started this first. There was a software called HIVTrace at the time that we could submit genos to and it would compare them to a control strand and link them to each other if they were similar. This detected clusters and gave us a ton of genetic information (nothing on a personal level -- genetic info more relating to the cluster and how similar each genotype was, etc.). It's worth mentioning that when I was with the program, there was no real guidance yet. We were making it up as we went, but worked closely with CDC and provided them with guidance on more than one occasion ;)

 Responses from the PH world were generally (but definitely not always!) positive & excited. Responses from the general public were generally concerned, uncomfortable, or even upset.

There was always a huge misconception that by getting 'molecular data' aka viral genotypes, we were getting genetic data from the person, which is not the case at all. We gave presentations at so many different venues, like community planning groups, conferences, training sessions for DIS, etc., and there were always the folks who did not understand and were not happy. I think this is what prompted the program to change it's name from MHS to CDR - no mention of molecular surveillance or genotypes since they really were trigger words for folks.

With all of that being said, I haven't worked on MHS/CDR since 2018. I was on the panel for the new CDR coordinator and have helped her & the CDR program manager with some of the sas codes from time to time, but if you want to know more about what they're doing now-days, I would highly suggest reaching out to them directly. Her name is **********, and her supervisor is Garret Shields. We used to have a webpage with some of the posters we'd done and other fact sheets on it, but I just went to get the link and there's not a link for CDR. Not sure why, unless it has to do with the push back.

Anyways, I've rambled enough. I'm happy to answer any questions, but I can only provide answers from my time with MHS and things may not be the same currently. ***** and ***** are both super awesome and willing to discuss CDR so I definitely encourage you to reach out to them as well.

 

Hope you are doing well! It's been a long time!

Her Name

My original email: 

Dear Her Name,

I hope you are well and finding some peace and joy in these pandemically-precarious times! For reference, this is Clay Porter, cousin of **************, reaching out to inquire about your work at *DH…specifically regarding Molecular HIV Surveillance and Cluster Detection programs; so, I hope you remember me and are willing/free to chat about this here or via phone/zoom. The next few paragraphs will summarize my interests and inquires for you as an employee of the state, as well as individual experienced (and interested?) in the program as a novel health initiative….I will try my best to be concise, but apologize/thank you in advance for taking the time to read the following texts. <3

Summary: My primary reason for reaching out to you is to inquire about the MHS/rapid cluster detection and response program at *DH, your role in its development and implementation, your role as an employee for *DH, and your thoughts-both personally and professionally- about the program at a variety of levels. There is limited information about this novel initiative available to the public and even less enthusiasm about its goings-on from internal staff. As an intern for *DH, Dept. of Epi-Div. of Inf. Disease, I have tried to locate the program within the state health system, with little to no meaningful end. After learning you were responsible for its development and implementation, I was surprised as much as overjoyed—who would have thought you, ****, and I would all end up working in public health!? What an eccentric yet extraordinary world it is indeed.

Ask: Is there a good time for you and I to speak via Zoom or whatever platform in the next few weeks or so? Let me know and I will make my schedule meet your availability.

Briefly: I have been working as an intern for ********** in Disease Prevention for over a year, on a variety of projects; namely, those efforts aimed at HIV/STI health law modernization, prevention, outreach, and advocacy and organization within the general assembly and wider stakeholder-community. My work with *DH in the role began in 2019 and has evolved into a formal partnership between myself, Eastern Virginia Medical School, *DH, and the apparatus of public health professionals invested- or personally involved- in HIV/STI-related health outcomes. However, my interests in your work is not part of my formal project as an intern with *DH…so, feel free to share both your professional and personal insights about this program, as they will only be used in an academic context.

My background:  I graduated from VCU in 2012 with a B.S. in Anthropology and a B.A. in Religious Studies. Afterwards, I stayed in Richmond, working for whomever but volunteering for nonprofits, including Health Brigade, Daily Planet, and Minority Health Consortium. After publishing two scholarly works in 2009 and 2011 on HIV among African American and South African men, respectively, my focus has remained on the health of diverse communities and other minorities at-risk of HIV/AIDS, be it personal or professional, in both academic and applied settings. As a graduate student of epidemiology at EVMS, set to graduate in May, 2021, I am wrapping up some scholarship on HIV decriminalization, incident STI increases, and PrEP program uptake and effectiveness in Virginia; but moreover, am interested in expanding my personal/professional portfolio regarding molecular HIV surveillance and other rapid cluster detection systems in several studios- intellectually, professionally and personally. With over a decade of experience working in HIV/STI prevention, peer-reviewed publications, and subjective insight in culture, health, and sexuality, as someone living with HIV, my interests are multifaceted and interconnected.

Thus, I would appreciate your support in helping me learning as much as I can about Molecular HIV Surveillance and Rapid Cluster Detection, including anything you can share with me about its research and development at *DH, contemporary use in epidemiology and disease prevention, or implementational effectiveness in HIV/STI surveillance, is welcomed; as well as any ethical issues, program politics or legal concerns involved in its uptake in Virginia- embracing all biostatistical and cultural ecological topicality traversing this novel initiative.

I will be heading to Richmond soon to pick up me employee ID badge and agency laptop, so I’ll have an opportunity to meet you in person, even if only to say hi*. In the meantime, let me know when you are available to chat about this and other issues of interests, and I will be certain to make myself available.

Thank you for taking the time to review this lengthy letter and consider my request and I sincerely look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take care old*friend ðŸ˜Š!

-Love-

Clay A. Porter, MPH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Community Practicum Project: Part 1-3

As a scholar with specific subject matter expertise in anthropology and public health, and as an individual living with HIV, a first generation college student, and queer man with history of substance abuse whose work and life are deeply intertwined, I have derived a lot of comfort and hope in bearing witness to the power of community coalitions while accompanying community leaders and advocates in mobilizing to take care of one another, to act, and to engage in necessary fights around issues that have long been in existence: universal and meaningful healthcare, abolition, housing rights, equal employment, gender equality, environmental justice, and rights of marginalized communities, displaced populations, migrants and immigrants. I have worked alongside community leaders, activists, and health and social providers in the field of HIV and disease prevention who have long refused to accept the status quo, and have instead, created their own forms of care or reimagined the existing sy

The War on Sex: Some Notes

  The War on Sex Sex is an important site of social control, adjudication, and- ultimately -oppression. Many social movement organizations have focused on sexual health and do not generally frame their work in terms of social justice or civil rights. The failed attempts to decriminalize HIV in the Virginia legislature, both within and outside the General Assembly, are both troubling and deserving of critical examination, and yet they are just pieces of a much larger puzzle comprising legal, social, and economic systems that do not readily seem to fit together. Institutional ethnography: Interrelationships among the General Assembly, Virginia Department of Health, and community organizations working to repeal the laws criminalizing HIV in the Commonwealth are each a subject of analysis here… The Problems of Prospective: “Thinking Sex”                 From the beginning, this issue was not seen for what it truly was and is: a war on sex.                 By only problematizin

The Economic Burden of AIDS in America: Increasing Access to HIV Medicines

The Economic Burden of AIDS in America: Increasing Access to HIV Medicines Clay Porter Eastern Virginia Medical School Abstract This paper examines the cost of the HIV epidemic in America and surmises the economic benefits of an early targeted roll out of treatment for minority communities. By assessing the literature on health disparities in accessing HIV/AIDS medicines and the financial toll of medical costs associated with HIV-related complications, it is determined that increased access will reduce the economic burden of the virus on both at risk communities and the health services systems they rely on. The Economic Burden of AIDS in America: Increasing Access to HIV Medicines There are an estimated 1.1 million individuals living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in the United States, and about 66% of this population are not engaged in medical care (CDC, 2014). This disparity is extreme, with black and Hispanic communities, specifical